Top 10 Packing Tips
If you decided to do all the packing in preparation for your move, you need to read this guide to help you do it right. Keep in mind that some removalists do not offer transit insurance for items packed by the homeowner.
Different items are not packed in the same way. Using certain packing techniques keeps items safe while in transit and prevents or minimizes damage. It makes the process of loading and unloading the packed goods into the moving truck simple and efficient. Plus, unpacking and organizing the stuff in your new home become quick and easy.
Consider these packing tips to make your move smooth and successful:
1. Pack fragile items, such as dinnerware and ceramic vases, individually using bubble wrap, craft paper, butcher paper or corrugated cardboards to prevent breakage. Line the bottom and sides of the boxes with crumpled paper before putting in the fragile items. Arrange plates vertically inside the boxes.
2. Individually wrap paintings or fine art pieces in similar manner.
3. Put books and CDs/DVDs in smaller boxes for easier handling of weight. A good rule of thumb is to limit the weight of boxes to 15 kilograms.
4. Pack clothes and flat linen in thick and sturdy cartons. Secure the bottom and top of the cartons with strong packaging tape.
5. Pack suits and gowns in customized cartons for transporting clothes on a hanger.
6. Don’t forget to label the boxes with your name, address and its room destination. You can also number the boxes for ease of tracking and so the removal company knows where to put the boxes at your destination. Add simple instructions, like FRAGILE, KEEP UPRIGHT, if necessary.
7. Roll rugs and carpets and tie them securely before wrapping with plastic to avoid creasing.
8. Use furniture covers and/or heavy-duty plastic to protect mattresses and lounges from dirt and damage.
9. Use special crates for high-value items, if necessary. Disassemble big furniture if possible for easy transport.
10. It takes time to pack. Be sure to do it way ahead of time so that everything is ready by the time the removalists come to pick them up.
If you need help with packing, you might like to reconsider the packing services offered by professional removalists in Melbourne for a completely stress-free moving experience.