How to select a removal company
A little nervous about deciding which moving company you want and trust to move your precious belongings? The task can be easier said than done.
There is no time to be shy!
Make sure you fully understand the services that the moving company has to offer and the rates the company has provided.
It is also good to check your state's moving and storage association to learn their local regulations that apply to removalist companies around your area.
Here is a list of questions that you should be asking a removal company as you shop around for the ideal movers:
- Is your company registered?
- Are you a member of AFRA (Australian Removers Association)
- How does the company charge? Do you charge by the hour or by the half hour?
- Does your company have a minimum charge? Once the minimum is met how do you charge? Do you charge by increments of half hour?
- Is there an extra charge for any flights of stairs which the item needs to be moved up? (This is not unusual.)
- Is there a depot to depot charge?
- Does your rate change if you need to move in the evenings or on the weekends?
- Do you require a deposit?
- What are the payment options?
- Does your company have full-time employees or do you sub-contract your work? (Be very cautious of companies that use sub-contractors, as they may not be properly insured and trained)
- Do you carry Worker’s Compensation for your employees?
- What training do you provide for the movers and drivers? How often?
- What kind of insurance does your company provide on the day? (Even if a removalist is insured, that doesn’t mean that your items are covered during the move)
- Do you have a cancellation policy? (You should always be able to cancel or postpone the relocation a few days before your move)
- Do you have a free obligation quote? (For homes larger than three bedrooms, try to get a free obligation quote done. Be thorough in identifying all the items you need moved. Don’t forget the garage or sheds.)
- Do you have any ideas on how to make my move easier and quicker? (Removal companies who care about customer service and making your move a pleasant experience, will do all they can to help you.)
- Do you have any other contact numbers to be called after hours or if anything wrong occurs on the day of the move?