Moving House Checklist
Feeling a little overwhelmed about the prospect of moving all your worldly possessions to a new location? Don’t worry, the experts at Fragile Removals have put together some helpful tips for moving house and changing address that will alleviate your stress and make the process much simpler.
More Moving Tips:
- Connecting Your Electricity
- Moving With Kids
- Protecting Fragile items
- Money Saving Tips When Moving House
Check out our moving house checklist below!
Where To Start:
- Begin packing early and only pack one room at a time.
- Start packing items that are not used frequently, such as books, out of season clothing, etc.
- Label each carton on the sides and top with its contents and the room it is going into.
- Heavy items like books and appliances should be packed in their own smaller sized box so that they are lighter to handle.
Protecting Your Goods:
- Individually wrap and pack each item.
- Place packing paper or buffering at the bottom of each carton: blankets, pillows, and towels work well for this purpose.
- Mark cartons as Heavy or Fragile if necessary.
- Pack boxes to their full capacity by using crunched packing paper to fill empty spaces, but do not overload in such a way that the box may lose its shape, or rupture.
- Use large amounts of packing tape to secure both sides of each box.
- Make sure that doors and drawers of your furniture are securely shut (use tape, rope or strong ribbon).
- Take shelving out of cupboards and units.
- Empty dressers- hanging clothes can go in a Port-A-Robe boxes.
- Freezers, refrigerators, washers, driers, stoves, etc., should be dry and clean. If you choose to discard any of these items, make sure that a child cannot enter and be locked inside.
Paintings & Posters:
- Use bubble wrap and cover with cardboard – it protects the glass and picture frame.
Lamps & Lampshades:
- Remove light bulbs from lamps. Put shades in a separate box and mark “Fragile”.
- Pack in original packaging if possible. Pack each item individually. Use bubble wrap and mark “Fragile”.
- Backup all your files onto CDs or DVDs.
Before The Move:
- Make a list of all your cartons and their contents.
- Essential items you want first access to, should be the last boxes loaded into the removal truck.